Thursday, January 1, 2009

Reflections on 2008

I'm not even sure where to begin with my reflections of 2008, other than to say that it's over and I am SO glad. 2008 began with my wife and I hosting an exchange student from Korea for three months. Frankly, a 10 year old has no business going to school abroad, and especially not one that has no self control. January, February, and March were a complete bust due to him, and we had a really crappy Valentines day and her birthday.

April, May, and June were a bit less strenuous in that regard, but still not that enjoyable. We were each living our own lives, and just sharing an apartment for the most part. In July we took a trip to Michigan for her family reunion, and each of us had fun, but we didn't really do much together while we were up there.

After we got back, Alexi began making her plans to go to Korea to work for a year, and we pretty much agreed that it would be a separation for us. She left in Spetember, while I was working on Romeo and Juliet at SBCT. In November, we decided to just go ahead with the divorce. We had lived together and apart with very little change in the feelings that were there. In all truth, we have been nothing but friends for probably the last couple of years. It's best to get out of it now, while we are still friends, and before we start to hate each other.

Thanksgiving was the first holiday with my family since the divorce had begun, and was very bizarre to say the least. My parents seem to be trying to purge every last vestige of Alexi from their house. Every picture, every scrap, etc...

December was Christmas, and I went to a few parties and then home to see the family for the actual holiday. I've also moved from the apartment that I had been sharing to a duplex in Round Rock with an extra bedroom and a yard. Last night rang in the new year with new friends... none of whom I knew a year ago... Maybe this is the fresh start that I need to move on. I'm at a very awkward, difficult place in life, but it's a crossroads that I must make my way through. I can only hope that I come out the other side a better person for it.

To my new friends from 2008... You mean more to me than you know. To my old friends... you have been there for me through good times and bad. To all of you... I am truly thankful to have you in my life.

3 comments:

Ronni said...

My 2008 was a PITA, too.

All the best for 2009!

Marsha said...

Glad to know you David, thanks for coming to our Cavort and not saying that we are all weirdos!

Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm your friend too! I don't know how I'd pass the days at work with out our constant back and forth emailing on the holy Blackberries!